Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Game, set, Match?

Game, set, Match?

It's a game, we all play them, albeit sometimes unwillingly, but we play nonetheless. Sometimes the games of dating cross the line, and sometimes they're just flirtatious fun. Volleying back and forth, increasing tension, attaction and desire. Thus far, I've managed to step on court and find my own balls to play with, or rather they've rolled onto my court so to speak. Many of my friends have been doing the online dating thing for a while, many with great success...one year I went to 3 weddings where the couples had met online. And they seemed good, not like a square peg in a round hole or anything. They seemed like they vibed.

For whatever reason, I've been ridiculously hesitant to plunge in. I viewed it as a failure on some level, of my ability to just serendipitously meet someone. But more and more I'd been toying with the idea, and re-framing my view to that which embraced this as just another method and a viable one at that, to meet someone. I also for some reason figured there may be less of the-crossing-the-line game playing. Whoah mama I was wrong.
So full disclosure here, initially I joined and had no picture up. I lurked. Every day. After a few days I noticed that the same men kept popping up in my search results. Men that I would not want to date both based on their pictures and their 'about me' bio's. So I started looking in NYC and SF, just to see what the difference was. Whoah mama! Dont' get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't men here in DC, but SF tipped the scales. Then I had an idea. Why not fly to some of these cities with a few girls and go on a bunch of dates? Why not?

Still thinking about it, I decided to do it, put the pics up. I have to say, it was a bit overwhelming the number of emails and winks and such - not because I'm all of that, but because of all the people I looked at when I was hidden, they all now knew I looked at them! And guess who emailed me first, a guy from SF and a guy from NYC. Hilarious. And they seem cool. The DC guys, so far it's been email email email. One guy is going on 7 emails with me. I realized a rule I have to implement, email 2x max and then meet up. I am not looking for pen pals people. It's only been a week since I've been active, so we'll see what happens....

The other annoying thing is the number of random emails. I've had to block a few - explicitly putting sex out there, as if. And the one liners: Subject: UR CUTE. Body: Wanna ride my motorcycle?
Really?

In other game related news, non man-man texted me again! Once again asking why I disappeared and when he can see me. This was Friday. Today is Monday, which is when I realized I never wrote him back. We went back and forth a few times, but no mention was made of actually meeting up. I think he just likes keeping in touch, and I am baffled as to why. This is NOT increasing my attraction to him. Initially, oh about 4 weeks ago, I absolutely wanted to tangle. But now? Ehhh not at all. I feel like he's dooing is thing, and so am I.

And no, I have not gone on a date from the online game, yet. I think the biggest fear I had was putting my profile up, and now that it's over, I feel that jumped a hurdle for me, and now I am just walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment