Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The first (online) date goes offline

Delete. Right? Well I did, and then IM (Irresponsible Man, the one who never called to formally cancel date due to snow storm) stepped up, a little bit. As I left work last night, he texted me to ask when was a good time for me to talk. I like that, respect for my time, asking first, all good things. I let him know I’d be out and he asked me to ring him at my convenience.
I was out last night, yes. I sorta held out on you guys --I had my first ever match.com date last night. And I lived to tell! And I don’t have a horror story to tell you either!
I’ve been emailing with a few of these potentials, and only 2 have really been at the forefront IMO. One being RIM (Recovering Irresponsible Man, per above), and the other being the guy from last night, who for time being we’ll call Sporty, because, well he’s pretty sporty!
As I was walking to the neighborhood pub to meet him, I ended up running into him. I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief;
I recognized him because he actually DID look like his pictures! I think what helped is that he has multiple pics on his profile and they all are attractive and look the same. This is key people, pictures; you need to see the pictures. I don’t care how above it all you think you are, at the end of the day a guy/woman can be nice as pie, but if you don’t find them attractive at all, there is no point. Some may disagree, you can grow attraction and what not, and while attraction may indeed grow, I still believe you MUST have that initial feeling of excitement because you want or may want this person, in THAT way, you know what I’m sayin’?

Sporty was attractive and it was extremely easy to converse with him. Eye-catching, polite and well-traveled. At the end of the date, I surprised myself with how forward I was, as we wished each other the respective ‘nice holiday’ he gave me an opening by saying, yes let’s get together after the break, so I pulled out the cell. I initiated the phone number exchange because frankly, I am not a fan of this match.com email business. It’s fine to initially connect with someone, but after that, I need to take it offline. We’ll see what happens, won’t have any updates till January on this one.

I came home and threw on the pj’s and called RIM, he had a nice voice and again, conversation was effortless. Is it because both of these men are in their upper 30’s like me? Is it because I’m more comfortable with who I am? We talked for 45 minutes and I did not budge, told him I'm busy until after the new year. Technically, I do have some time here and there in the few days I am in town, but why rush something that is still in the potential stage, and barely at that. And also, why rush at all? Not necessary IMO. In talking, he gave more of an explanation about his lack of contact over the weekend, plausible evidence actually. Frankly, he sounds like a type-A workaholic, so not sure this one is my cuppa tea. Especially considering that I have NOT forgotten what happened over the weekend. Which is why, when a dear friend called to have dinner tonight, I didn’t make plans with RIM to get drinks afterwards. One match.com date in a week is enough for me, thank you very much. And I have my hesitations about this guy as it is. Of course, this morning, I got a text from RIM, again sayin how much he enjoyed our chat and is looking forward to meeting me in person. Is his interest because he hasn’t actually met me yet? That excitement and slight sense suspense? I wonder…..

No comments:

Post a Comment